Some of our JAPAN SEO Services clients:
The Japanese Search Landscape
Japan is one of the three largest markets by GDP. For brands trying to increase their exposure in South-East-Asia, Japan is one of the three key markets (alongside China and South Korea). The unique cultural barriers and the challenge of four scripts in which the Japanese language is written in, are hurdles that need to be taken. Jademond Digital (Jadegital) is here for your rescue with high end expertise and local native language expertise.
Google and Yahoo! Japan are the most popular search engines in Japan. In 2010, Yahoo! Japan decided to implement Google algorithms on its own search functionality, to allow users to gain more effective organic results.
Since Google and Yahoo! Japan utilize the same algorithms (Yahoo Japan doesn't operate an own search index, but operates on Google's index) the listings displayed on the SERP features are mostly identical on the first few pages.
- Population size: 125,7 Million (2021 - Source: data.worldbank.org)
- Internet penetration: 90.2% (2020 - Source: data.worldbank.org)
- Most popular web search engines: Google, Yahoo! Japan, Bing
- Currency: Japanese Yen
- Gross Domestic Product (GDP): 4.937 Trillion USD (2021 - Source: data.worldbank.org)
- Languages: Japanese
- Time zones GMT +9
- Major cities: Tokyo, Yokohama, Osaka, Nagoya, Sapporo, Fukuoka, Kobe, Kyoto
- Most popular Internet TLDs: .jp / .com
We support your Japanese SEO strategy with:
- Native Japanese SEO Specialists
- Localized Keyword Research
- Account Set-Up on Yahoo! Japan
- Creating Optimized Content
- Link Outreach to Japanese webmasters
- Analysis & Reporting in English
On average we could achieve the following results for our SEO clients:
32%Increase in online transactions
148%Increase in organic traffic
46%Increase in mobile traffic
What are the most commonly asked questions when it comes to SEO for Japan?
Why is Japan SEO important for your business?Search engine marketing is an important component for successful business B2B as well as B2C in Japan. Although, as everywhere in the world, various apps for entertainment and ecommerce are sprouting up, limiting the reach of search engines, Google and Yahoo! Japan remain important traffic sources. Despite the reduction in traffic, the search engine can bring in highly relevant visitors.
Which search engines are used in Japan?Google holds just over 75% of the Japanese search market, followed by Yahoo! Japan with just under 17%. However, since Yahoo! in Japan obtains its search results from Google, it can be said that the Google index serves 92% of the Japanese search market with search results. The remaining < 8% is distributed among smaller search engines such as Bing, DuckDuckGo and other service providers with < 1% market share each.
How many Japanese characters should content for good SEO in Japan have?There is no definite answer to this question. As you should never build content for the search engines, but rather for the visitors of the website, the answer must be - as much content as needed to satisfy the search intent of the visitor. For proper SEO you should be using the right keywords though. Usually well written content, looking at different perspectives of a topic tend to be longer.
How to grow your online presence in Japan?Japan is one of the most important markets for brands looking to increase their presence in Asia. However, besides the language hurdle (there are 4 different writing systems that don't make content creation any easier) comes the cultural hurdle. Japan, being a fundamentally culturally Asian country, nevertheless comes up with a completely distinct Japanese culture. Not all Asia is the same. So, to increase your brand presence in Japan, you need to follow the paths of your potential customers along the rules of Japanese culture and install the right touchpoints. We can help you with this.
Can you use Google in Japan?Yes, Google can be used in Japan and is even by far the most used search engine in the Land of the Rising Sun with 75%. It is often assumed that Yahoo! Japan is the most important search engine in Japan, but this is not the case. Yahoo! Japan only holds a market share of around 17%. What many people don't know - Yahoo hasn't been running its own search index for a long time. Everywhere in the world, Yahoo is supplied with search results by Bing - with the exception of Japan, where the search results are supplied to Yahoo by Google. Therefore, (figuratively speaking) every Yahoo search user is also a Google user.
"A successful SEO strategy is based on high quality content and the front/backend optimization of your online store/Website. Digital Authority is built by organically indexing the right keywords to your Brand and have your products as a reference in East Asian platforms."
Qing He, Head of Search, Jadegital